How Minor Car Accidents Result In Major Injuries
While injuries sustained in a fender bender or a minor collision with another driver may not seem serious, it is important to seek medical care immediately. There are many types of potentially dangerous conditions that can have symptoms which take days or even weeks to appear, and even seemingly minor car accident injuries can have a major impact on your long-term health and well-being.
Potentially Serious Car Accident Injuries
Any time a bump, blow, or jolt to the head or body occurs, serious injuries can result. Common types of car accident injuries sustained in even minor accidents include the following:
Soft Tissue Injuries
Soft tissue injuries involve strains, sprains, and tears to muscles, tendons, and ligaments. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) advises that victims may require the following treatments:
- The use of ice, elevation, and medication to relieve pain and swelling;
- Physical therapy to regain use and full range of motion;
- In more severe cases, surgical procedures may be required to repair the injured tissues, and permanent nerve damage can result.
Even with the proper care, the AAOS states that prolonged healing times are often necessary, and the site may be susceptible to re-injury.
According to the Brain Injury Association, even a minor bump or blow to the head can result in serious brain trauma that has significant impacts on the victim. Depending on the type of injury, victims may experience the following:
- Physical disturbances, such as difficulty walking or maintaining balance, severe headaches and sleep disturbances.
- Personality changes, which may become more apparent over time, such as being increasingly moody or depressed, a quick temper and frequent rages, or anxiety and social disorders.
- Cognitive problems, such as trouble completing tasks, remembering certain people or events, or difficulties in communicating thoughts and feelings.
Injuries to the Back and Spine
Medlineplus advises that the back is made up of numerous bones and tissues that extend from the neck down through the pelvis. Serious injuries can result from any type of blow or wrong movement, and may include:
- Muscle strains and sprains;
- Herniated and bulging disks;
- Fractured vertebrae;
- Damage to the spinal cord itself.
Treatments for back injuries range from prolonged rest and inactivity to physical therapy and surgery. Some patients seek relief through alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, massage, and chiropractic care, as a way of dealing with the pain and discomfort and to avoid over dependence on pain medications. Unfortunately, back injuries often result in lingering disabilities that can prevent you from working or engaging in activities you once enjoyed.
Our West Palm Beach Car Accident Attorney Can Help
When an accident occurs, before dismissing it or your injuries as being minor, notify local law enforcement, exchange information with the other drivers, get medical care immediately, and contact the Wexler Law Firm, P.A. for help. We have experience in working with accident victims, and understand the permanent impacts even a minor accident can have on both your current and future health and financial security. Rather than taking actions that could ruin your chances for a settlement, contact our West Palm Beach office for a free consultation today.