Play It Safe over New Year’s Eve
If you have not made plans for where to spend New Year’s Eve in West Palm Beach, now is the time to do so. Restaurants quickly fill up with reservations, and many of the local clubs feature special events that require an advance ticket purchase. As part of your plans, make sure to make arrangements for getting to and from the festivities safety, particularly if you intend to drink. Law enforcement will be out in full force to help reduce the number of drunk drivers, in order to prevent potentially serious car accidents and injuries.
New Year’s Eve Car Accidents and Injuries
Despite increased public awareness of potential driving dangers on New Year’s Eve, the overall number of Florida car accidents and injuries continues to increase each year. According to 2016 figures from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), crashes in general during the holiday have increased nearly 20 percent since 2013, while fatal accidents rose by 50 percent. Among the most common citations issued to drivers over New Year’s Eve include:
- Distracted driving;
- Speeding and driving too fast for conditions;
- Seatbelt violations;
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or other substances.
SafeAuto reports that New Year’s Eve is one of the most common nights of the year for drunk driving accidents. In crashes and collisions that occur in the 12 hour period between 6 p.m. on December 31 and 6 a.m. on January 1, alcohol is a contributing factor in more than 70 percent.
Stay Safe on New Year’s Eve
Planning in advance and being aware of the potential risks can help keep you and those you love safe over New Year’s Eve. Ring in 2018 on a positive note and avoid situations that could result in car accidents and injuries by following these tips from State Farm Insurance:
- Plan how you will get home in advance. New Year’s is the busiest night of the year for cab companies, so do not assume you will be able to call at the last minute and get a ride. Know your options and decide whether to rely on a designated driver, public transportation, or ride sharing services.
- Plan for your guests’ safety. If you are hosting a party on New Year’s Eve, be aware of your responsibility as a host. Avoid strong cocktails or over serving guests, and make sure you have plenty of food to offer along with alcoholic beverages.
- Plan to spend the night. Avoid having to worry about getting home after a party by spending the night in your host’s spare room, or by choosing an event at a hotel or resort.
When car accidents and injuries do occur, contact Gregg Wexler to get the professional legal representation you need. We fight for your rights to get compensation for your injuries, helping to ensure you get the maximum amount you are entitled to. Call or contact our West Palm Beach car accident attorney online to request a consultation.